Do you ever have a bad day and just don’t feel like you can shake yourself out of it? It happens to all of us. You try and you try and you try and you just can’t shake the funk that you’re in. Sometimes it happens on cloudy days or it could even be hormonal. But it happens.
Quit fighting it.
I’ve found on these days that I can frustrate myself to death by trying to continue to fight it. Might as well just walk away and hope that the next day is better. (It usually is.) But what do you do?
What makes you happy when you do it? Everyone has activities that when they do them they just always seem to bring you joy. I suggest that you come up with that list and keep it with you. This will be called your “Nurturing List.”
Let me give you some examples from my list:
1. Hole-in-the-Wall restaurants. I just love to find the places that the locals know about that the tourists never find. These are usually smaller, independently owned restaurants that have great food. Comfort food. Wherever I am in the country, I ask people to tell me about these places. And I have my top five in the town I live in. Just going there brings me up! (If we’re not Facebook friends, you’re missing a lot of good suggestions on where to eat around the country. Friend Me!!!)
2. Exercising. Going to the gym always lifts my mood. Many times when I’m in a funk, I don’t want to do it, but I just make myself show up anyway. And I walk out the door feeling like a million bucks. This gets the endorphins flowing and increases your levels of serotonin.
3. Bookstores. I’ll go spend 15-30 minutes in a bookstore. Don’t know why I like it, but I do. And the older the store, the better. In Portland there’s a bookstore called Powell’s. It’s the largest in the world—a whole city block. You can browse for days and never see 1/10th of it.
4. Holding Sandy’s hand. Or just anytime I get within 50′ of her! If you know her, you already understand this! (Okay guys, don’t kick me out of the “Man Club” but I just love being with my lady!)
5. Reading adventure books. Nothing like sitting outside and reading a book that takes you a million miles away. (Suggested authors: John Sandford, Robert Ludlum, Vince Flynn, John D. McDonald, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Harlan Coben, just to name a few.)
6. Phone call or lunch with a friend. Does it every time!
7. A bath. Have a book and a glass of wine. Sit and soak. I don’t do this one enough.
8. Haircut. It just mellows me out.
9. Walking though a grocery store. I’ve loved doing this since my mom used to take me as a little boy. I like to find things I’ve never tried before. Also, markets are better than chains!
10. Taking a ride out in the country—with the windows down, hearing the crickets, etc., and smelling the smells. Takes me back to my childhood.
There’s some of my list. I know what they are. I keep them in the notes section of my phone. Steal away! Or just call me and I’ll help you.
Keep your list with you. When you’re in the funk, you don’t need to try to think these things up. Have them handy.
What are some of yours? Please post what you do that brings you joy. I’d love to hear it!
(Haven’t subscribed yet? Just go to the right hand side of the page, put your email in, then verify it. It just takes a couple of seconds.)