Goals Session 9: Goal Setting Tip 9

TaDAH!!!

We’re finally here!  Over the last four posts, we’ve gone into detail about the first eight steps of our goal setting progress.  Today we will tackle the ninth and final step:

SEND WEEKLY PROGRESS REPORTS!

So what does that mean?

You may have heard of the study that Yale conducted on goals, which said that only 3% of the graduating class had specific, written goals.  Twenty years later, the 3% were earning 11 times the income of the other 97%!  And not only in income, but in all areas of life.

From my research, there is some question as to the validity of that study.  So I’d like to tell you about the results of another study I discovered which was conducted at Dominican University in San Rafael, CA.

I won’t bore you with the details of the study itself, but it involved participants who ranged in age from 23 to 72 from six different countries including the United States. 

These are direct quotes concerning the results of the study:

  1. “The positive effect of accountability was supported: those who sent weekly progress reports to their friend accomplished significantly more than those who had unwritten goals, wrote their goals, or formulated action commitments.”
  1. “There was support for the role of public commitment: those who sent their commitments to a friend accomplished significantly more than those who wrote action commitments or did not write their goals.”
  1. “The positive effect of written goals was supported.  Those who wrote their goals accomplished significantly more than those who did not write their goals.”

(Note the use of the word “significantly.”  Accountability greatly increases the odds of success for you!)

In essence the study provided empirical evidence for the effectiveness of three coaching tools:

  1. Accountability
  2. Commitment
  3. Writing down one’s goals

Therefore, I want you to send a weekly (or bi-weekly) progress report to someone.  I’d prefer that you pick someone who knows you well and who has your best interest at heart.  Pick a person who is an encourager, but also a person who will also “get on you” if you start to slack off.

Let’s take action.  Write down the name of a person or two right now who comes to mind that fills the above criteria.  _______________.  Keep in mind that you may want to use different people for different goals that you are working on.

There’s something about accountability that tends to keep a person on track.  This one step significantly increases the chances of you accomplishing your goals!

That’s a GOOD thing!

In our next session, I’ll share with you four “suggestions” when you’re writing a goal and then we will begin practicing this.

Have a blessed day!

Enter Your Mail Address

Leave a Reply